The Lady Eve

Filed under: Movie Viewing — emodjsteph at 8:52 pm on Thursday, September 15, 2011

I was surprised that I actually enjoyed this movie. It’s probably because I like romantic comedies and not gangster movies, but I liked this much more than I did The Public Enemy. I also had fun trying to spot biblical references while watching, though the snakes and the apple in the title sequence were fairly obvious.

The woman from the opening scene was the perfect juxtaposition to the female lead – the first woman was silent and submissive to the man whereas the lead is confident and in control of her sexuality. The overt female sexuality throughout the film was surprising but interesting. Whereas we’re used to plenty of objectification of women today, there was objectification of men that was certainly pretty entertaining. I felt like as compared to the bible, the powerful female sexuality represents Eve’s seduction and temptation of Adam and the amazon was a reference to the Garden of Eden. Also when Eve changes her voice and accent, it reminded me that in the bible, it’s mentioned that the devil speaks in many different tongues, which would further support the idea that she represents wicked temptation.

I had some difficult following Eve’s motives, initially I thought her plan was for revenge but then when she ends up with him anyway I was lost. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised how how much I liked the movie.

2

medst114f11

September 24, 2011 @ 4:11 PM

I like the way you tied the many references to the bible. The one I found most interesting was when Eve uses a different accent to mask who she is and how you link that to the devil. There is no doubt that Eve is supposed to represent all that is wrong with man. She uses her sexuality to lure poor, naive Charles into her web of deception; however, unlike the devil, she winds up falling for her prey.
I also really enjoyed this film because, like you, l love comedies and romances. One of my favorite scenes is when Eve is looking at Charles through her make-up mirror. The dialogue is so fast and I need to see it again to catch everything I missed the first time. It was very funny to watch the man being stalked by a woman; usually it is the other way around. In fact all the women on the ship were portrayed as overeager flirts. Either all the women on the ship were single or their husbands didn’t mind them battling their eyelashes at a rich, handsome man. The way Eve narrates the intensions of the women is hilarious but true. Who else knows what goes on in a devious woman’s mind better than a devious woman?
What I found most surprising was the outfits Eve wore. That black dress with her stomach showing blew me away. That is something that I would expect to see on a someone today, not in that generation. Somehow I thought that women in those years were modest and uptight. I guess I never saw them as promiscuous sex symbols. But as we see in the scene in her bedroom, she basically threw herself on Charles and he had to be the one to resist her. That shows that men were believed to be the keeper of woman’s virtues; if not for the decency of men, women would be wild and loose. That also ties into the bible, because it was Adam who was the voice of reason and Eve who persuaded him into temptation. In this scene, Charles had to remove himself to avoid biting the apple.

5

morecowbell

October 18, 2011 @ 5:04 PM

I’m not the religious type at all but I really admire and respect your comparisons from the film to the bible. I mean I think the title in itself is meant to relate to the story of temptation of Adam and Eve. I was also surprised to see the role of woman’s sexuality play out how it did in the film especially since it was only 1941. I did get a little lost in the story line figuring out if that was really Eve’s father or just her partner in crime. Overall I enjoyed it just as you!

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.